FEATURES AND BENEFITS:
- Unlimited Comfort - Malleable magnesium frame allows cuff adjustment
- Light as Air - The world's lightest OA knee brace
- Stays in Place - Contoured design enhances brace suspension for various levels of activity
- Dependable Off-Loading - New world material "nano MAGTM" (on the loading side) provides strength when offloading
- Clincally Proven - DonJoy's Adjuster technology off-loads (mechanically shifts weight away from the damaged pare of the knee) a little - or a lot.
- Please note: There is a £60 fee if you decide not to keep the brace after the fitting appointment.
WHAT IS OSTEOARTHRITIS (OA)?
Arthritis refers to more than 100 diseases that affect the joints and their surrounding tissues. Osteoarthritis, or OA, is the most common form of arthritis. The statistics on OA are staggering:
- Approximately 1 in 5 adults (18.2%) over 45 years of age in England has osteoarthritis of the knee.
- The prevalence ranges from around 15% to 21% across the counties in England.
- The rate of knee replacements ranges from 1 to 6 people per thousand aged 45 years or older.
The joint most often affected by osteoarthritis is the knee. Knee OA is caused by the degeneration or breakdown of articular cartilage that covers the ends of the bones that meet at the joint.
Articular cartilage serves as a cushion between the bones, providing a smooth surface for the bones to move against each other. When the cartilage deteriorates the bones may actually be rubbing together. Your physician will often refer to this as "bone-on-bone" osteoarthritis.
WHAT IS OSTEOARTHRITIS (OA) KNEE BRACING AND HOW DOES IT WORK?
Knee braces are available that are specifically designed to treat OA. They stabilize the joint, reduce pain and help to build stronger muscles, which allows patients to return to the activities they love.
Load re-distribution and joint alignment through a process called "off-loading" or shifting, OA braces can help relieve pain by redistributing the weight bearing load on the painful or affected compartment of the joint to the healthy or unaffected compartment.
Increased function Studies have shown that wearing an OA brace can increase function and decrease pain. Patients diagnosed with OA who wear a knee brace will generally feel better in the morning, be more active during the day, and rest more comfortably at night.
WHAT TO EXPECT FROM A OSTEOARTHRITIS (OA) KNEE BRACE
- Braces cannot cure Osteo Arthritis and may not be right for everyone. However, it is a good solution for many people. Ideal candidates are typically active people who are motivated to strengthen their muscles and willing to wear a brace to realize the benefits of this form of treatment.
- Discuss treatment goals with your doctor and others on your health care team before you get a brace.
- Don't expect a brace to feel good from the start. It may take from a week to a month to get used to how the brace feels on your leg. Be patient. It took a long time for your knee OA to develop.
- Bracing has come close to eliminating pain for some people with knee OA, while others experience moderate relief.